A grilled cheese sandwich should never let you down so bin off those boring sandwiches with Ollie Eat’s ultimate French’s Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Turn a lunchtime classic into a lunchtime legend thanks to a big squeeze of French’s American mustard.
2 tsp French’s mustard
2 slides of sour dough bread or similar artisanal bread
4 slices of Edam/ Gouda cheese (large enough to cover bread)
4 cherry tomatoes (sliced)
2 slices of high quality ham
1 knob of butter
½ tsp of oregano
Salt & pepper
- Generously butter one side of each slice of bread making sure the whole surface is covered and spread the yellow mustard on the un buttered side.
- Preheat a non-stick pan on a low heat and place one of the slices of bread in the pan butter side down. You should hear a light sizzle as the butter reacts to the hot pan.
- Start assembling the sandwich starting with a slice of cheese, adding the cherry tomatoes and ham making sure that there’s enough cheese in between each layer and finish off with with another slice of cheese on top.
- Once the ingredients are assembled season to your liking with salt, pepper and oregano. Edam and gouda are quite mild and can take a little more salt than more flavourful cheeses like mature cheddar or brie.
- Place the second piece of bread butter side up on top of the ingredients to finish assembly.
- Fry the loaded grilled cheese sandwich on a low heat until the bread has become golden brown, to check the colour carefully lift the edge of the sandwich with a spatula and check underneath.
- Once the bread is done to your liking, carefully lift the sandwich from underneath with a spatula lightly holding the top slice down to keep everything together, rotate and place the sandwich back in the pan with the un toasted side down and wait until golden brown. Note: the cooking process can be sped up by covering the pan with a lid or foil to keep the heat in thus meting the cheese faster.
- Finally, once both sides are browned and the cheese is melted take out of pan and serve.
- Add extra French’s mustard for an extra punch!