This fun shareable hot dog ring recipe is the perfect party dish to delight your friends and family. Two layers of hot dog bites with caramelised onion, bacon bits and melted cheese, what's not to love?
1 packet pizza base dough
1 tablespoon (approx.) French’s Mustard
1 packet 10 Frankfurters
1 tsp vegetable oil
150g caramelised onion
3 tablespoons ketchup
3 slices cooked smoked streaky bacon, chopped
5 small gherkins chopped
50 grams Red Leicester cheese, grated
A handful of crispy onions
- Pre heat your oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas Mark 4)
- To prepare the jackets for the hot dog rings, roll out the pizza dough and spread liberally with the French’s yellow mustard.
- Cut the dough for the crescent dough hot dogs in half, width ways and then cut into 15 rows lengthways.
- Brush a large oven proof pan or dish with the vegetable oil in preparation for the hot dog bites.
- Cut the Frankfurter sausages into 3rds and roll them in the sheets of dough.
- Spread the hot dog rolls out in two rows around the rim of the pan, leaving some space in between one another to give the dough some room to expand. Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until the dough is cooked and lightly browned.
- Remove the hot dog rings from the oven, add the ketchup and caramelised onions to the middle of the pan.
- Top the onion and ketchup mix with the grated cheese and pop back in the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Once cooked garnish the hot dog rings and melted cheese with the crispy shallots, chopped bacon and gherkins. And enjoy!
To Prepare the Caramelised Onions & Bacon
- Melt 30g unsalted butter in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Add the 2 large sliced onions, thyme sprigs and salt. Leave to cook, stirring occasionally until they are caramelised. Removed the thyme one cooked.
- In another pan fry off the bacon until it is nice and crispy.